During this week we did things a little different. Instead of picking a card we got a number assigned to us. The numbers were randomly generated via the main computer and each number was designated to each seat (we had the choice to switch seats before the unveiling of each number, however no one did switch). That number was then linked to an image, each image was a photograph of an object somewhere hidden in the college. Our task was to find this object and model it; so therefore we had to take lots of reference photos and videos otherwise we would have to travel back to that location for research.
Here is the Object I got given:
A camera found in the camera stores downstairs. This camera is so big, but you have so much control over the settings manually. This camera can help to focus, use depth of field, acknowledge tilt and shift and also alter the viewpoint as well as the visual perspective. I went down to the stores and asked Nathan about the Cambo Camera (as he is based in the photography field) and he said that this camera works on a bellow system. This bellow system allows the user to be in such good control of it because you can move each side of the bellow to your liking therefore changing how you want the main subject to look and how the background will effect the main subject etc. This is when Depth of Field, Tilt-Shift and Visual Perspective comes into use.
Here are my photos and visuals of the camera that I took for reference:
I regret that some of the images that I took was not clear enough, however, I took another look at the camera and realized that most of it is symmetrical so I could create one side of the camera and duplicate it then edit any differences that are needed. Below are some more techniques that I used during this 3DS Max challenge:
- How to ‘Cut’ objects.
- Learnt how to use different lighting techniques.
- Create a scenery to display the final product.
- Learnt about the Snap Toggle.
Here is my final product:
I prefer this model to the previous challenge as it looks more like the actual object and the final rendered image is very clear, I enjoyed making this one more as I was a bit more independent with my work and I was more focused as I had a more clear understanding on what to do and how to do it.
Credit goes to Nathan Pidd for giving me information on the camera and letting me use the camera for research and evidence towards my model.
Here is information on his work and details: https://artsfacultyresearch.wordpress.com/2013/07/02/nathanpidd/