Horizon Investigate the video game revolution, virtual worlds getting more realistic and games and their reputation.
- Can video games increase aggression or addiction?
- What effects does it have on our brains?
- Drugs and smoking vs Video Games.
- Video game industry is large especially the UK.
- More gamers are over 25.
- So diverse, something for everyone.
- Some people have different opinions. E.g. Carmageddon – Too Violent?
- “At the end of the day it’s not real”.
- Narrator asking too many bias questions – using subliminal – using the word violent too much.
- Professor only looks towards bad emotions. (Craig Anderson).
- Video Source: BOB TV.
- Attention is captured unless game is paused.
- Rewarded for violence?
- Dr. Doug Gentile -“Ethically we know not to harm people”.
- Experiment – One player plays a non-violent game and the other player plays a violent game, then they compete in game in which the winner gets to decide how bad the punishment is. This experiment has been done with electric shocks, loud noises, hot sauce and more.
- 4%-9% increase of violence when playing video games.
- Study – Students are split into groups of two. One group plays violent games and the other group plays non-violent games then they are showed actual violent scenes from real life. Students are monitored by skin conductors and heart rate (keeping an eye on stress levels). The violent game players stress level was lower than the players that played non-violent games.
- Seem to think that people who play violent video games have more aggressive thoughts and solve things by being aggressive.
- Is this all true? Children are not copying but do they still get more aggressive as they get older?
- Chris Ferguson – Rise in violent crime? 2013 stats.
- Not just games that increase violence. Books, films, family.
- Routine Activity Theory – Occupying aggressive peoples times with video games.
- If there was no games people would be on the streets causing trouble.
- Again, not just video games. Bad backgrounds, bad upbringings, bad day, films, books, television etc.
- Gamers Misunderstood?
- Some people play games without realizing (iphone games, gamification).
- Ian Livingston.
- Tim Schafer.
- Growing up with video games.
- Anger and arguments are not cause just by gaming. Sporting events and politics as an example.
- Not just violence to take into consideration – frustration, stress, worry, anxiety (flow theory).
- Tetris game experiment. Tetris = good logical game. Bastet = Crafty version of tetris (gives you blocks you don’t need and blocks you need are hard to get).
Bad research is bias, good research is not recognized.
- Analyzing distinct pattern of play.
- Attacking enemies or finding a way out.
- Emotion part of brain was expected to trigger – Amygdala.
- Regulating emotions in different situations.
Horizon Video Games – 95% of games = under 18 age rating. Games are made with so much effort it is an art form, a way of transporting to another world. 1.2 Billion people game.
Residential places set up for children because they are too addicted to gaming.
Does behavior depend on reward systems? Online gaming, is it teamwork or competitive?
Octalysis – TED Talks
Losing concept of time. How many hours does it take to be addicted?
Reward test – small reward instantly or large reward gradually. Addiction – Self Control – Impulse.
Compulsive Gamers jump the gun.
How much value? Reward or goal?
Gamers use the word addicted as an exaggeration and not scientific.
- Games can be educational and helpful.
- Using a game to teach people keyhole surgery. ‘Underground’ – game. (Simulator)
- “Could playing video games actually be good for us?” – Narrator
- How much visual information can a deaf person take in?
- Yellow or Blue test – tracking colours – attention. Blue was easier to track, average was 4 for non-gamers, average was 6 for gamers.
- Games require focus and accuracy. HUD Design, 1st person or 3rd person.
Brain Activity – Brain growth by playing video games – pre frontal vortex.
Super Mario 64 caused 3 areas of brain to grow and reorganize. Navigate using 2 perspectives. Video Games can improve cognitive abilities.
Older Players? New game Nuero Racer.
Multitasking and attention. Attention span and memory increased. Memory increased by 30% (Digital Medicine?).